Do you long for a clean and clear armpit? Are you embarrassed by the dirty-look of your underarm? Are you ready to get rid of it? Am here to tell you, search no more you are in the right place. Dark underarm can be thought as the skin reaction to harsh chemicals from beauty products such as deodorants we apply on the armpit; it could also be poor shaving habits or response to certain drugs as side-effects.
CAUSES OF DARK UNDERARMS
Some of the main causes of dark underarms are as follows;
- Excessive shaving
- Frequent use of hair removing creams
- Too much sweating
- Poor ventilation of underarms
- Accumulation of dead skin cells
- Use of alcohol-based deodorants and antiperspirants.
- Hormonal disorder
- Certain medications
You can easily get rid of dark underarms using simple home remedies that are safe, effective, natural and affordable.
However, due to other factors dark underarms may also be as a result of a medical condition that is known as acanthosis nigricans. If your dark underarms are caused by this condition, then you must consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
STEPS TO PREVENT DARK UNDERARMS CONSCIOUSLY
- Avoid using alcoholic based deodorant/antiperspirant: Stop alcoholic based deodorant as it causes darkening with long use. Some people switch to a natural alternative such as baking soda or apple cider vinegar. Some people avoid using a deodorant completely.
- Stop shaving: Use good waxing or hair removal creams for easy and gentle feel.
- Exfoliate: use a body scrub or a facial exfoliator two to three times a week.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes.
- Quit smoking.
Here are the top 10 ways to get rid of dark underarms.
The mild acidic property in potatoes makes it a great natural bleacher. it very effective for whitening dark areas of the body with no negative effects.
- Apply a thin slice of potato on your underarms or you can extract the potato juice and rub on the dark underarm, allow it to dry for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. For best result apply twice daily.
Cucumbers just like potatoes, also have natural bleaching properties that help lighten and fades discoloration of the skin.
- Simply rub a thin cucumber slice on your underarms or try extracting the juice from a cucumber and apply using a cotton ball under your arms. Do this once or twice daily until you are satisfied with the results.
Lemon has a powerful antibacterial and antiseptic agent. This is why lemon is used in the treatment of various skin-related problems including dark underarms. Lemon can dry out your skin, so apply a moisturizer after use.
- To lighten your dark underarms, rub lemon juice using a cotton pad on the affected areas for about 20-30 minutes and then rinse out. For better exfoliation, you can sprinkle a little sugar on the lemon wedge and then use it. Do this a few times a week.
- Another option is to mix a little turmeric powder and plain yogurt in some lemon juice and apply it to your underarms. Leave it on for about 10 minutes and then rinse out. Repeat three or four times a week for best result.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a good exfoliator. It can be used as an exfoliating scrub to get rid of dark underarms and shed off dead cells. It will also help unclog skin pores.
- Mix baking soda and few drops of water to make a thick paste.
- Use this paste to scrub your underarms.
- Wash it off and pat dry the area.
- Repeat a few times a week.
You can also apply a light dusting of equal parts of baking soda and cornstarch to neutralize body odor.
5. Orange peel
Orange peels is rich in vitamin c and ascorbic acid which makes it a great skin lightening agents. It can be used to lighten the skin under your arms, thanks to their skin lightening and exfoliating properties.
- Put some orange peels in the sun for a few days until they dry out completely.
- Grind the dried peels into powder form.
- Mix two teaspoons of powdered orange peels and milk with enough rose water to make a thick paste.
- Gently scrub your underarms with the paste and then leave it on for about 10 to 15 minutes and rinse out with cold water.
- Repeat the process two or three times a week for best result.
6. Coconut oil
Coconut oil contains vitamin E that can help lighten the underarms. At the same time, it will also work as an effective natural deodorant.
- Massage the dark underarms with coconut oil.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse out with warm water.
- Repeat two or three times daily until you achieve the desired results.
The vitamins and fatty acids contained in milk can help minimize underarm darkening. It makes the skin tone much lighter and soft.
- Mix two tablespoons of full fat milk, one to two tablespoons of flour and one teaspoon of pain yogurt to make a thick paste. Apply it on your underarms and leave it on for about 15 minutes before wash it off with cold water. Repeat a few times a week on a regular basis.
Vinegar is used to kill germs and bacteria that feed on dead skin cells. causing underarm odor. You can get rid of your dark underarms and underarm odor with the help of vinegar. This remedy will lighten the dark patches.
Mix rice flour with vinegar to form a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your underarms.
- Allow the paste to stay for 10 to 15 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat a few times a week.
Sandalwood is another useful ingredient for getting rid of dark underarms due to its skin-lightening effects.
Using rose water to make a paste will add a cooling and softening effect on the skin. The fragrance of sandalwood will also help get rid of body odor due to too much sweating.
- Mix two tablespoons of sandalwood powder and two to three tablespoons of rose water to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your underarms.
- Allow to stay for about 15 minutes or until it dries, and then rinse out with cold water.
- When repeated daily, this remedy will lighten the skin tone of your underarms within a few days
10. Hydrogen Peroxide
An excellent bleach is hydrogen peroxide for either removing stains on clothing or skin lightening for underarms. It also used in making deodorant which helps as a natural solution for underarm odor. Try applying some hydrogen peroxide in your armpit for a deodorizers.
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Cotton ball
Moisten a cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide for topical use and apply it to the dark spot of your underarms, allow the liquid to be absorbed, leave for 5-7 minutes and then rinse out with cold water.
BEST RECOMMENDED SHAVING CREAMS FOR ALL SKIN TYPES
1. Dr. Bronner’s – Organic Shaving Soap (Peppermint, 7 Ounce) – Certified Organic, Sugar and Shikakai Powder, Soothes and Moisturizes for Close Comfortable Shave, Use on Face, Underarms and Legs
2. Neomen Hair Removal Cream – Premium Depilatory Cream – Skin Friendly Painless Flawless Hair Remover Cream for Women and Men
3. Coochy Intimate Shaving Cream MOISTURIZING Plus THE ORIGIN For Pubic, Bikini Line, Armpit and more – Rash-Free With Patent-Pending Formula – Prevents Razor Burns & Bumps, In-Grown Hairs, Itchiness
4. Cremo French Lavender Moisturizing Shave Cream, Astonishingly Superior Shaving Cream For Women, Fights Nicks, Cuts and Razor Burn, 6 Fluid Ounces, 2-Pack