Fenugreek is an herb that is native to the Mediterranean region, southern Europe, and western Asia. It is an annual plant that is also known as methi in many parts of the world. The seeds are used in cooking, to make medicine, or to hide the taste of other medicine. It aroma and taste somewhat like maple syrup. Fenugreek leaves is mostly cultivated and consumed in India as veggie.
Fenugreek Nutritional Values:
For 1 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds (11.1g) contains:
- Calories: 9
- Total Fat: 7 g
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Potassium: 5 mg
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Net Carbs: 7 g
- Fibre: 7 g
- Proteins: 6 g
How Much Fenugreek Dosage Should I Use Daily?
The consumption of fenugreek powder, seed or leaves daily although varies according to the problem you would want to solve. The recommended dosage should be restricted between 5 and 50 grams per day for best results.
This is a wonder herb, that is easily grown, comes with a bunch of health benefits. Be it for various health related issues, for skin care or as a hair conditioner. Fenugreek is an all-rounder herb! Add methi to your diet every day either in the recipes you cook or as a powder added to warm water, just consume fenugreek seeds every day and keep the doctor away!
Now that you know the origin, nutritional values and dosage of fenugreek, I will show you methi dana benefits and How to Use fenugreek seeds?
USES OF FENUGREEK
- Fenugreek is used for treatment of
- To induce labor during child birth.
- It helps treat hormonal disorder.
- Helps with breast
enlargement, and to reduce menstrual pain.
- In lowering blood glucose and
- Treating of both type 1 and 2 diabetes.
- Is used in treating arthritis,
asthma, bronchitis, improve digestion,
maintain a healthy metabolism.
- increase libido and male potency.
- Burning of fats/weight loss.
- Increases milk production of a
- Remedy for soothing sore throat and
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF FENUGREEK SEED, POWDER AND OIL
1. FOR A BIGGER BREAST AND BUTT
This is super simple and easy to make at home, you take fenugreek seed and grind to powder, you mix it with water and you drink it, nothing too fancy and nothing to complicated, however, what you need to understand is that this is one of the best drinks you can enjoy at home to get an amazing breast growth.
To be frank and honest with you, fenugreek tea is amazing for increasing your breasts size, you can achieve bust size from a cup B to cup C. However, for an effective result I recommend fenugreek powder because it works amazingly fast with no side effects.
When you drink fenugreek tea, you are going to miss on a lot of the amazing phytonutrients and phytoestrogens found in it because you will be throwing out the ground seeds.
So, drinking fenugreek tea alone is more than enough to start stimulating breast growth, but to truly get amazing results, you have to use the big guns, and here, I’m talking about drinking fenugreek powder.
If the small size of your breasts is giving you concerned and feeling embarrass then worry no more! Here is a simple yet effective remedy for you. Dump all the pricey breast enlargement creams and lotions and follow this natural regime for increasing the size of your breasts. Fenugreek spice has the power to increase oestrogen hormone levels in your body.
Every day, when you wake up, I want you to have a minimum of half a liter of water.
This is important to get your body hydrated again after long hours of sleep.
Then, simply have your breakfast and when you are done, I want you to take two teaspoons of ground fenugreek seeds, put one teaspoon in your mouth, without chewing it and without tasting its bitter flavor, and simply swallow it with one glass of water, repeat this for the second teaspoon.
This is truly one of the best drinks you can enjoy to increase your breasts size.
It’s much more powerful, and in terms of results, it’s simply fantastic
Get one full spoon of fenugreek seeds and one full spoon of Cumin seeds, boil them together in a small quantity of water for 10min. Allow the mixture to cool and eat the seeds together
with the water. Do this two times a week and
stop taking it when you attain the sizes you
Take 2-3 grams of fenugreek seeds and soak them overnight.
Early in the morning, strain the soaked fenugreek seeds.
Consume the strained fenugreek seeds water on an empty stomach.
This will balance the hormones in your body and definitely make some positive changes in your breasts within a few months.
Follow the regime religiously for a couple of months to watch your breasts grow in size.
Fenugreek is very popular in breast firming and enlarging products. The oil can be added to your own body cream and massaged into the breast or made up with a grape seed oil. Pour the desired portion of the oil mixture into the palm of your hand and gently massage for about 30 minutes both morning and night for best results.
2. FOR ANTI AGING
Fenugreek oil is very rich in vitamins and antioxidants to combat free radical damage that can lead to aging and is often added to help lift, tighten and smooth skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
3. FOR BURNING FAT/ WEIGHT LOSS
Fenugreek oil may have a positive role in supporting weight loss as both a metabolic enhancer and an appetite suppressant. Increased metabolic output burns more energy and can accelerate fat loss. Fenugreek has the added benefit with regard to fat reduction in that it helps “break up” fat deposited in the bloodstream to be used as energy. Using energy sources the body already has stored can reduce the cravings for food.
Add some quantity of fenugreek oil
Mix well and massage to the desired area.
4. FOR ACNE/ BLACKHEADS
Fenugreek oil can be used to combat acne and blackheads. Mix 5 drops of the oil with 1 tbs. of honey and apply this as a face mask on your skin to treat acne. This can effectively treat cystic acne as well. It can be useful against blackheads. It draws out toxins accumulated underneath the epidermis and tones the outer layers of the skin.
5. FOR DANDRUFF REMOVAL FROM SCALP
Fenugreek oil can help reduce dandruff. Mix with 5 drops of cinnamon oil and apply this mixture on your scalp and leave it for a few hours. Then wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
6. FOR SAGGING BREAST TO FIRMER
Like facial masks, breast masks can help firm the skin in and around the breast region. You can use these breast masks at least once in a week for desirable results.
Make a paste consisting of yogurt, 10 drop vitamin E Oil,10 drops fenugreek oil and egg . Apply this paste over your breast. Let the mask settle for about 20 -30 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water. For best result apply thrice a week.
7. FOR BOOSTING AND INCREASING BREAST MILK PRODUCTION
Nursing moms and pregnant women can benefit from fenugreek seed immensely because it enhances milk production; for expectant mothers who are so close to giving birth to new born, always remember that you will need good milk production for the baby. And for this purpose, you could use the wholesome goodness of fenugreek seeds. The composition of fenugreek seeds is an essential formula for nursing mothers. So to increase Breast milk production in your body, make sure you consume fenugreek seeds regularly.
WAYS OF TAKING OR INGESTING FENUGREEK SEED
Fenugreek can be taken in various forms based on your choice you feel is easier for you.
- You could just put a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in your mouth and swallow them with some water or if you are ok with the bitterness, you could chew on them.
- Sprout the fenugreek seeds by soaking in water for some time and letting them rest wrapped in a clean white cloth placed in a dark corner. Add the sprouts to your salad or just boil them, squeeze a lemon and munch on them as a snack.
- Add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to a glass of hot water and let it steep. Strain the tea, add some honey to it and drink it up.
- Take a handful of fenugreek seeds, dry roast them and grind them into a fine powder. Add this powder as a seasoning to your curries and salads.
- Take fresh fenugreek leaves, wash them well and stir fry them with vegetables of your choice and eat it with roti or rice or you could use it as a sandwich filling too!
- If you wish to eat methi in a really easy way, add the freshly chopped fenugreek leaves to the wheat flour and make parathas. Yummy methi parathas!
- Consume methi seeds or leaves daily until you feel that breast milk has increased.
- After that, you can adjust the intake to thrice a week and then adjust accordingly later.
8. FOR FEVER AND SORE THROAT
Fenugreek seeds make up to one of the most promising home remedies for fever and sore throat. Fenugreek seeds can fight infections and other flu-related symptoms effortlessly. This is why most experts will advise you to have this drink whenever you have a cold or flu/catarrh.
- All you have to do is take some fenugreek seeds and soak it in water.
- Add some lime and honey in it.
- Make sure the water is a little warm.
- Now drink it down and we assure you that within a couple of days, you will find a lot of relief from discomfort caused by cold and flu.
- It is advisable to drink the fenugreek stew for at least 3 days to get the best relief. Repeat until you get good relief.
9. FOR SOOTHING MENSTRUAL CRAMPS AND ACHES
A quick solution to all women’s health problems such as stomach cramps and abdominal pain during menstruation is fenugreek. It can also prevent hot flushes, mood swings and other kinds of occurring which occur during menopause in older women or pregnancy. They keep you calm and sedate all throughout the year even people who have to change moods can definitely find a solution by using fenugreek seeds regularly. This one is like a pain killer that can really take good care and improve your overall health. Fenugreek oil is known to relieve menstrual cramps, hot flushes, discomfort and moodiness due to its calming effect on the hormonal system.
- Add a few mint leaves, basil leaves and a small piece of cinnamon stick in a glass of hot water.
- Let it boil for a minute.
- When it is hot, add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and let it sit for a minute.
- Once the fenugreek flavour soaks into the tea, add a few drops of lemon juice and honey.
- Stir well and drink.
- Drink this tea once daily to enrich your health.
- During menses or during menopause time or when you have mood swings, any discomfort due to hormonal change can be sorted by consuming this tea.
10. FOR LIBIDO ENHANCER
For those suffering from erectile dysfunctioning and reduced sexual desire, or loss sexual urge. Ayurvedic practitioners have been prescribing supplements infused with fenugreek extracts for ages now. It is as effective as Viagra as it regulates testosterone level.
- Soak a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds overnight.
- Strain the water and drink it on empty stomach the next morning.
- It is advised for men to consume this fenugreek water for about one month to see its result.
11. FOR ATHELETIC PERFORMANCE
Fenugreek seeds are often termed as the seeds for athletes. The seed is good for athletes due to its high amino acids content, alkaloids and medicinal properties. Amino acids help in synthesis, maintenance and repair of muscles. The amino acids present are lysine and methionine. They are responsible for the formation of carnitine and taurine. This powder is increasingly used as an ingredient to make supplements for increasing muscle mass and strength. It increases muscle glycogen with exercise. It facilitates more energy, more endurance and more strength during sports.
Dry roast generous amount of fenugreek seeds.
- Let them cool down.
- Now grind them into a fine powder.
- Store the powder in an air-tight container.
- You can use this powder as a seasoning on your curries or salads or use to spice your food.
12. FOR ACIDITY AND HEARTBURN
Fenugreek seeds have mucilage which creates an outer coating in the stomach and intestinal linings. They soothe the damaged tissues of the gastrointestinal tract. Thus it prevents heartburn or acidity. It can be used as remedy or relieve for stomach ulcer.
- Take a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds, and chew or swallow them with some water.
- However, it is more effective if soaked overnight, as it makes its outer layer mucilaginous.
- You can also add about a teaspoon full in your food and curries. It will help to keep acid reflux and heartburn at bay.
- Keep adding good amount of fenugreek to your food recipes and get relief from heartburn and acidity.
13. FOR DIABETES
Diabetic patients should definitely add fenugreek seeds to their diet. Fenugreek contains a natural soluble fibre, known as galactomannan, which helps to slow down blood sugar absorption. Fenugreek seeds are also rich in amino acids responsible for inducing production of insulin.
- Soak 10 gm of fenugreek seeds in warm water.
- Wait for the fenugreek to soak in well.
- Before the water gets cold, consume it like green tea.
- Consuming this natural herb tea will effectively reduce symptoms and issues especially in patients suffering from diabetes type 2.
14. FOR INDIGESTION AND CONSTIPATION
Fenugreek seeds are rich in fibre content and anti-oxidants. They increase the volume of stool, ease bowel movement and fight constipation. The mucilage present in the seeds also protects the mucous membranes. It helps in flushing out toxins from the body and also quite effective in treating gastritis and indigestion. It soothes ulcers, aches in the stomach and improve digestion.
- Dry roast a handful of fenugreek seeds.
- Allow them to cool down.
- Grind them to a fine powder.
- Store this powder in an air-tight container.
- Mix a teaspoon of fenugreek powder in warm water and drink to get instant relief from constipation.
15. FOR HEART PROBLEMS
A heart attack is the major cause of maximum deaths across the world. Strokes occur when a major artery in the heart gets choked and the blood flow to the heart is hindered. Fenugreek seeds help to prevent any further damage and also counteract the oxidative stress occurring during a stroke. These seeds have a modulated effect on the blood lipid level, and they can substantially reduce the chances of atherosclerosis.
- Dry roast a handful of fenugreek seeds, grind and save the powder for daily use.
- Boil water, add fenugreek seeds to hot water, let it sit for some time and drink it up. Just swallow the seeds.
- Make fenugreek leaves curry or just make paratha out of it or you could make fenugreek vegetable patties and consume.
- Follow any of the above-mentioned methods to stay fit and healthy!
- Do any of them on a daily basis to keep your heart functioning well!
16. FOR MINIMIZING CHOLESTEROL
Fenugreek which is now the magic ingredient for best health benefits is also an amazing agent that has the power to lower cholesterol levels. Regular intake of fenugreek either in powdered form, seed form or in leaves form can extensively reduce cholesterol production thereby enriching the functioning of intestines and the liver.
- Mix powder of dry roasted fenugreek seeds in warm water or buttermilk.
- Add fenugreek seeds or leaves or powder to any of your curries or dal and make it a part of your daily diet without fail.
Fenugreek intake on a daily basis will keep bad cholesterol at bay and enhances good health.
17. FOR WEIGHT LOSS
Methi seeds or methi leaves are a wonderful remedy for quick and effective weight loss for burning fats. Especially, methi leaves are best known for their exclusive fat burning nature.
- Take a cup of washed, cleaned and chopped methi leaves.
- Add them to two glasses of boiling water.
- Turn off the flame and set aside to cool down.
- Filter the water and grind the methi leaves to a smooth paste.
- You can drink up the juice and use the methi leaves paste to make a soup with other vegetables.
- Add methi to your diet every day and experience quick and effective weight loss and inch loss.
- Eat this healthy salad every day either as breakfast or as a salad bowl before lunch and watch your blood sugar levels fall in place!
18. FOR BLOOD PRESSURE
Methi seeds are rich in potassium as well as dietary fibre. Fenugreek has the power to lower cholesterol levels and also blood sugar levels, thereby altering excessive amounts of sodium or the presence of other unnecessary elements. Therefore, it is an amazing remedy for blood pressure.
- Take a tablespoon of methi seeds and boil them in water for a couple of minutes.
- Once the boiled water cools down, filter and grind the seeds into a smooth paste.
- Just quickly eat a teaspoon of this paste on an empty stomach twice a day.
- Repeat this every day for at least three months to watch your high blood pressure levels coming down to normal levels.
19. FOR PREGNANCY
Fenugreek is known for its pain relief properties. Pregnant women can consume fenugreek to get relief from the intensity of any spasm pains or labour pains.
- For pregnant women, since nausea is a common symptom, it is advisable to eat methi in the form of leaves added to curries.
- Add methi leaves to curries.
- Make parathas with methi leaves.
- Just add a small amount to tamarind to methi leaves and make chutney out of it to treat your taste buds.
- Make sure you have methi added to your diet on a daily basis so as to combat any possible health issues during pregnancy.
- Also since the fenugreek seeds are best known for increasing breast milk, intake of fenugreek right from the time of pregnancy will have added benefits.
FOR HAIR LOSS
Nowadays, Hair Loss is one of the biggest problems for men and women. Whether you are fifteen or fifty, at least 5 out of ten of us will complain about hair loss when we are combing our hair after shampoo. And it is definitely annoying because too much of hair loss leads to balding. To treat hair loss and fight such a huge problem, you can make use of fenugreek seeds.
- Just soak some methi dana or fenugreek seeds in water and let it stay for a few hours.
- After soaking well, grind the seeds into a fine paste.
- Mix the fine fenugreek seeds paste with coconut or almond oil and apply all over the hair and scalp.
- After one hour, using a mild shampoo, wash your hair and rinse thoroughly.
- Repeat this at least once a week for best results.
21. FIGHT DANDRUFF
Fenugreek seeds oil is great for the scalp and it quickly fight against dandruff. You can massage this all over your scalp to get rid of lice and an itchy and flaky scalp.
- Buy an organic fenugreek oil bottle. It is available in any branded supermarket or inorganic or ayurvedic stores.
- If you want to make your own fenugreek seeds oil, it is a huge process. However, there is a way to do it.
- Take a saucepan and add 250 ml of coconut oil.
- Once the oil is hot, turn off the stove and add dry-roasted fenugreek seeds powder into it.
- You can also add almond oil to enrich the oil.
- Another way of doing it is to soak fenugreek seeds for a few hours and grind them into a fine paste. Add warm coconut oil into the paste and then massage on the scalp.
- Take a generous amount of fenugreek seeds oil blended with coconut oil once it comes to room temperature.
- Apply it nicely covering the scalp and roots of the hair.
- Massage into the hair and through the hairline for a relieving effect.
- Massage the oil twice a week at least to get rid of dry skin, scalp irritation stimulates hair growth and makes your hair look shiny and beautiful.
22. FOR PREVENTING PREMATURE GREYING OF HAIR
Grey hair has become one of the most common problems of today’s generation. Irrespective of age, profession and gender, grey hair has become an all-time issue. Work pressure or hormonal imbalance, hereditary, anaemia, pollution, vitamin deficiency, malnourishment, or excess tobacco intake, whatever may be the reason but greying of hair in 20’s and 30’s is a real problem to deal with! Hair colours or dyes are relatively costly and harmful. So is there no option? Well! There is! Fenugreek herb uses are many and that can work magic on your grey hair.
- Take a tablespoon of dry roasted and finely ground fenugreek powder.
- Take two tablespoons of coconut oil and heat it.
- Once the oil is hot, switch off the flame and carefully add the fenugreek powder to it.
- Wait for it to cool down.
- Gently apply this oil mixture to your scalp and massage into the scalp.
- Wait for it to be absorbed by the scalp.
- After maybe an hour, rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this at least twice a week to see your grey hair problem reduce.
23. FOR SKIN INFLAMMATION
Fenugreek seeds help in curing and curbing skin inflammation. While most of the remedies talk about fenugreek seeds mask for skin brightening or smoothening, not many know that fenugreek seeds foam pack can be used to counter any inflammation anywhere on the body. The fenugreek seeds foam pack can also be used on blisters as it reduces heat generated by the body.
- Take a handful of methi seeds, soak them in a cup of water for a few hours.
- Once the seeds become soft, grind them to a fine paste.
- Now, keep a part of the mixture aside and add the remaining mixture to a relative amount of warm water to make it a solution.
- Now, soak a piece of a neatly washed thin piece of white cloth in the solution. Let the cloth sit in the solution for some time.
- Now, apply the mixture you kept aside on the inflammation.
- Squeeze the solution of leaving the cloth slightly damp and apply it as a foam pack on the inflammation and then apply the set aside mixture on the cloth as a pack.
- Leave it for some time and repeat as needed to see the inflammation disappear.
24. FOR BLACKHEADS REMOVAL
One of the most promising natural ways to remove blackheads is by consuming fenugreek water. It will draw out all the toxins and clear your skin totally. Both internal and external application gives you beautiful and glowing skin within a couple of weeks. Not just that, fenugreek seeds are great for all those who would like to remove all signs of ageing and marks from their skin. This one will really restore the beauty of your skin within a few weeks.
- Take a tablespoon of methi seeds.
- Add them to two glasses of water and set to boil.
- Once the water boils and reduces to half, switch off the flame and let the solution cool down.
- Take a glass of the fenugreek seeds water on an empty stomach every morning.
- Follow this regime for a month and watch your skin glow while your health enhances from within.
- Repeat this remedy every day or at least thrice a week based on your convenience to see best results.
25. FOR TREATING PIMPLES
Pimples can be really bothersome. Itchy, painful and tough to deal with! The diosgenin present in Fenugreek is an amazing anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory agent and that is what counters pimples leaving your skin fresh and clear.
- Take a handful of fenugreek seeds and soak them overnight.
- In the morning, take one litre of water, add the soaked fenugreek seeds to the water and heat it for about 10 minutes.
- Once the water heats up well, switch off the flame and let it aside to cool down.
- Once it is cool, strain the water.
- Take a clean white piece of cloth or cotton.
- Dip the cloth or cotton into the water and dab it on your face two times a day.
- If you have any excess solution left, refrigerate it and use it later.
HOW TO MAKE FENUGREEK OIL FROM SEED
- 1 cup fenugreek seed
- A clean glass jar
- Essential oil of choice e.g olive oil, coconut oil or lavender oil
- A clean dark bottle for storage
- A strainer
- Pour your fenugreek seed in the glass jar or better crush the seeds before use to extract more.
- Add your essential oil of choice to the jar, make sure it above the level of the seed in the jar.
- Place in a dark room and allow the seed to infuse with your essential oil for like 4-6 weeks.
- Shake the jar from time to time on regular basis to ensure proper mixture.
- After 4-6 weeks, strain your fenugreek oil from the seed.
- Store in a clean dark for use.